Erwin H. Barbour writes a report on a mammoth tooth in this undated photo.
Known as the "Father of Nebraska Paleontology," Barbour was named director of the University of Nebraska State Museum in 1891.
His most famous discovery was "Archie," the largest mounted Columbian mammoth, on display in Morrill Hall.
Barbour proposed and designed Morrill Hall as a replacement for the old museum. It was completed in 1927.
During his 50 years with the museum, Barbour was professor and chair of geology until 1934, and chair of geography from 1919 to 1929. He founded and served as first director of the Nebraska Geological Survey.
Mosaics under the Nebraska State Capitol rotunda were designed by Barbour.
After retirement, Barbour came to the museum daily to work on publications and drawings, remaining active until his last day at age 91 in 1947.
Future File This Nebraska athletic program started on Feb. 2, 1897 with an 11-8 win over the Lincoln YMCA. From the Archives will feature this program in the Feb. 9 edition of the Scarlet.
From the Archives is a regular Scarlet feature depicting images from the university's past. This week's image was provided by the University of Nebraska State Museum.